A SALUTE TO MR. YODER

Mr. Yoder is well known for his large presence in multiple activities at Midland High. Many note his down to earth personality and passion as strengths of his. Opinion Editor Kelly Craig | Staff Writer Olivia Ortiz

Every Wednesday, chemistry teacher Jeffrey Yoder begins the morning announcements, ready to read off a list of notable student achievements in the past week. The Chemic Salutes were originally started by Yoder 22 years ago to bring appreciation to the smaller good deeds done around school, as he believes they serve an important purpose: to acknowledge people who might not be seen otherwise.

“I think it makes the environment here at the high school, where people know ‘Oh! What’s Chemic pride?’ It’s helping someone out,” Yoder said “It doesn’t have to be, ‘You won the state title for something.’ It’s all the little things.”

This aspect of Yoder’s reflects his character and presence in various parts of school life. He is known as a science teacher, an active volunteer as MHS’s Key Club advisor, and as the band and basketball announcer. Yoder’s positive leadership qualities and approachable personality shine through in all of his places of involvement, especially in the classroom, say his students and colleagues.

English teacher Sarah Dodick has observed Yoder’s personality and believes that his passion is inspirational not just to his students, but to the other staff members as well.

“He’s always there to help students so I think that sets a really good example for the staff, and now that he’s become one of the more senior members, a lot of people look to him for leadership,” Dodick said, who also advises Key Club. “He’s that person that a lot of people feel like they can go to if they need advice or help. He’s the same with staff as with students. ”

Yoder’s motto in his classroom is “Its not just about chemistry, it’s about life.” Yoder applies this outlook into his classes through understanding his students’ unique lives and their difficult situations.

“Other people have a life different than you do, it’s easy just to see everything from your own life, and think, ‘I’m doing fine, why aren’t you doing fine?’” Yoder said. “I think over the time that I’ve been teaching I’ve become much more patient, much more realizing that everybody’s got a story, and some stories are pretty tough”

Key Club officers Alyssa Dekker and Ally Noel said that they appreciate Yoder’s teaching and leadership.

“He makes me enjoy going to chemistry every day,” Noel said. “Mr. Yoder makes it enjoyable and you can tell that it’s something he loves doing. His way of teaching is so different from anything I’ve ever had before.”

Dekker says that Yoder’s lessons given through teaching are not just applicable in the classroom, but that she’s been able to carry them into other parts of her life. “He teaches you life lessons even when you don’t realize it,” Dekker said.

“He’s shown that I shouldn’t have first judgments, and to give everyone a fresh start no matter who they are and that honesty and trusting people is really important.”

Yoder said that one of the most important parts of teaching is showing understanding and compassion for students, something that he’s built on ever since his first year teaching.

“Teaching is a calling,” Yoder said. “My calling is to help [my students] figure out where [they’re] needed in life. Wherever that may go, I want people to realize that it’s okay to have a different thing that you want to do, and that maybe the world tells you what you need to do.”