AHEAD OF THE GAME

Much like his mother and sister, Drew Barrie has had success in basketball. Despite being a freshman, he is a part of the varsity team. Staff Writer Amiya Zissler | Staff Writer Toria Montgomery | Staff Writer Mary Kent

Coming from a family of basketball players, Freshman Drew Barrie had high hopes to make it on varsity. Drew’s older sister Maddie, has been playing basketball since she was in first grade, played on the varsity team all four years she was at Midland High School, and currently plays for the Saginaw Valley State University women’s basketball team. Both of their parents also played sports in college. Their mother played for both MHS and Alma college basketball teams and was recently inducted to the Midland High Sports Hall of Fame. Drew said he has a lot of support from his family.

“[My family] always pushes me saying, ‘Hey, go shoot extra so you can do good in the game, go work on your dribbling,’” Drew said. “My sister and I work on basketball together.”

Maddie, who has been playing since she was very young, wanted to pursue basketball outside of high school, and is happy to be at SVSU.

“I love playing for SVSU, [it’s been my dream] since I was really little to play basketball in college and now my dream is my reality, so it’s really cool.” Maddie said.

Maddie said her parents are her biggest influence when it comes to playing sports. Maddie often comes out to support her brother at his games and is very proud of him.

“He has worked really hard for this, and I could not think of someone more deserving,” Maddie said. “I wish he was a year older so I could’ve been in high school with him at the same time and had more opportunities to watch him play.”

Like his sister, Drew began his basketball career in first grade. He didn’t have much interest at first, but then grew to love the game. Head basketball coach Eric Krause, whom Drew has known for 5 years, chose Drew for this year’s varsity lineup. He said this decision was easy because Drew’s overall skill level, knowledge of the game, and his positive attitude made him a good candidate for varsity.

“He was always so good that he played the grade ahead,” said Krause. “He’s a very good teammate and that is an attribute that is underrated.”

Though Drew started in the first game of the season, being a starter wasn’t the only thing he wanted from being on the team. The team is currently 2-2, which Drew says is deceiving.

They have to opportunity to play the two teams they lost to for a second time later in the season. Drew says they will use the two lost games as a guide for what they need to improve on, they will use the losses to benefit them.

“Starting wasn’t really a priority for me, it’s just a bonus,” Drew said. “I just want to win as a team.”

Being the only freshman on the varsity team, Drew said he feels very welcomed by the upperclassmen.

“They respect me, they’re all really nice to me, so I feel like I have a place on the team,” Drew said. “They all treat me well and we all work together well.” During the first game of the season on November 30 against Traverse City West, Drew’s nerves were high, but he made his first shot, which was a confidence booster. As the game went on, he settled in and scored 9 points in a 66-35 Chemic win.

“I was pretty nervous, I was freaking out a little,” Drew said. “But I got into it and I know what I’m doing, I’ve played basketball my whole life, I can do this.”

Drew hopes to learn a lot from being on the varsity basketball team. Leadership, specifically, is something he looks forward to. “The team will teach me how to lead,” Drew said. “Being on varsity for four years will teach me how to be a leader in the future for my grade.”