New Coaches

This spring sports season, Midland High welcomes three new varsity coaches. In varsity softball, varsity boys’ golf and in boys’ track, all three coaches are trying new approaches after their past coaching experiences. Web Editor Adrienne Gray | Staff Writer Isaiah Bridges

KEITH VIDEGAR-BOYS’ VARSITY GOLF

Videgar coaches his team at a short game practice. This is the first outdoor short practice of the year for the team. Currently, they practice at Curry Golf Course. Photo: Carter Hazen

What made you want to be a coach here at Midland High?
I love golf and I love coaching kids. I have coached baseball for years – Little League, travel, and I love watching these kids get better at their respective sports. What a great opportunity to be involved with the high school.

What are you looking forward to this season?
It is exciting to see which of these varsity players will step up and be a leader. I’m looking forward to see who will rise to the top.

What are your goals for the team? Long term? Short term?
Our goal every year is to win the SVL. It’s important to these student-athletes to want to always win their league and beat their rivals. Our long term goal is to make states. It’s not easy to do but these kids work hard and always have that in the back of their minds.

What experience do you have with the sport you are coaching?
I never payed high school golf but during college I started playing a lot and really fell in love with the game. I started qualifying for state tournaments and really enjoyed the competition. I worked at a golf course between my college summers, which continued to drive my love for the game.

MATT STARLING- VARSITY SOFTBALL

Starling stands on the third base line during a home game against Traverse City on Saturday, April 6. The Lady Chemics won both games played 12-11 and 10-7. Photo: Adrienne Gray

I have been a coach here for 17 years. I really value the high school athletic experience and love being a part of MHS and the athletic department.

I am looking forward to the newness of everything. Coaching in a new program, new role, new sport. We have a wonderful staff and I enjoy working with them each day. And most of all, working with dedicated student athletes.

Long term we want to continue the sustained success of the softball program. We want to be known as a program that does things the right way–on and off the field. Short term we want to improve every day and be the best team we can be on June 1.

Well, really none. I’ve coached football and baseball for the 16 seasons each at MHS. Obviously, there are a lot of similarities between softball and baseball but I am also learning a lot each day. I am fortunate to have assistants with incredible experience in softball.

ANDREW PLUDE- BOYS’ TRACK

Plude times runners at an outdoor track practice. This is one of the many responsibilities he fulfills as the boys’ track coach as well as working to improve his athletes. Photo: Jacob Ma

When I first started my student teaching two years ago, I was lucky enough to be able to observe and help with the track program that same spring.

I’m really looking forward to the day-to-day process of developing our team. As a coach, you have to spend time looking ahead, planning for what’s to come, but the real fun is working hand in hand with the athletes to pursue their peak.

What are you your goals for the team? Long term? Short term?
My number one goal for our team this season is for our team to show up each day with the desire to improve from their current position. If we can get them to improve in one area each day, the results will take care of themselves at the end of the season.

I have been in and around the sport of track & field as long as I can remember. My parents were both accomplished runners,and I was coached by them through six years of cross country and track. After that, I went to SVSU and competed for five years.