A Day in the Life of Jack Schulz

Student Council President Jack Schulz leads a life that appears to be ordinary, but the tasks he must attend to and challenges he must face go beyond speaking at assemblies or participating in leadership class discussions. Staff Writer Aleah Ward

Senior Jack Schulz begins a discussion with Monique Albright’s third hour leadership class. Photo: Spencer Isberg

Schulz completes his homework in the Student Council office. Photo: Spencer Isberg

Since freshman year, I had frequently wondered about the many roles and responsibilities required of a student body president. Senior Jack Schulz has taken on this important position, and his typical day is busier than most.
Schulz is not just Student Council President, he is also in Monique Albright’s third hour leadership class. He often leads class discussions to question fellow students about using their own leadership skills to complete difficult activities and tasks. On the specific day I was able to join this class, Schulz became the teacher because Albright was not able to be in class that day.
The activity that had been done the day before in leadership class involved groups of students trying to lower a helium stick to the ground. Schulz said that the point was to teach students how to work together and express their own individual ideas and leadership tactics to accomplish a task.
Schulz gathered the group of students together to discuss these events of the day before, encouraging classmates to share what they thought about the experience.
This class had showed me that student leadership was just an extension of Student Council, but it also deals with real life situations that may not have an apparent solution.
Taking the hour to sit down and observe how Schulz worked with other people showed me how it takes a passionate person to take on the role of student body president, and that this class is certainly helpful in exercising a range of skills in leadership and teamwork.
In addition to watching Schulz work with others in his third hour class, I also learned about the mechanics behind Student Council functions, most importantly the executive meetings that are held on Monday mornings every other week to explore what the student body can do next for change in the school.
Schulz and other executive officers arrive at school twenty minutes early to look over the agenda and prepare for the week. The meeting typically concludes at 7:35 a.m. They plan future events and activities of the school.
Although Student Council meetings may be held before official school hours, I was able to better understand why meetings like these are held with students working to change the school for the better, including events such as One Billion Rising, which was held in early March.
This includes organizing school events such as prom and homecoming, or even just putting smiles on glum faces of students coming into school on Monday mornings with positive greetings and music on the speakers. No matter what plans are discussed at these meetings, Student Council impresses me with their determination and hard work towards improving the school’s environment.
Because Schulz has been in Student Council throughout high school, he believes that all he has learned has equipped him to pursue a career in the business field.
He takes courses this year to help him practice skills that are used in this field, such as Advanced Accounting, Leadership, and online marketing courses.
Schulz says that he also takes IB Physics, so he was sure to challenge himself in science this year, and to work well in business it is important to take risks such as these.
Of course, the world of marketing and business is not for everyone, but through the many activities that Schulz has been able to participate in, he shows sure promise in taking jobs in marketing and exploring the world of business beyond high school.
Throughout his high school experience, Schulz said he has learned a lot about himself. He realized that he was able to gain many strengths in leadership and planning for the future from the people who surrounded him every day.
He was also able to recognize that it is essential to have ‘people skills’ in order to better collaborate with large groups of people to accomplish tasks. I was able to see this through his interactions with others in classes such as leadership, asking other students about their day, and willingness to answer questions about assignments.
Although I may not have a lot in common with the student council president, observing Schulz over a period of several days has convinced me that leadership may be a class that I would like to take my senior year so I can learn about how I am able to work with others, improve my leadership skills, and make my community a better place–just like Jack Schulz.